If you are reading this you have stumbled up on the Race Communication for the 2023 SomerUrban. This is all the information that we can give you. The rest you will get on race morning.
Parking will be located at lots 104 S Central Ave, Somerset, KY 42501 or 211 E Market St, Somerset, KY 42501. Check-in will be at the Joe Ford Amphitheater in Rocky Hollow Park. Use the path near 104 S Central Ave to access to theater. Restrooms are located near registration.
Make sure one team member is at the pre-race clinic if you are new to the sport. We will give you some tips and tricks to be successful prior to handing out packets.
This is a self-supported event so bring your own provisions. We will have some water at the starting area, but you are expected to carry or acquire your food and hydration while out on course. There are several stores along the course.
- 830am – Pre-race clinic. We will teach you everything you need to do the race and answer any questions we can. We suggest one member attend if you have never done this style race.
- 9am – Check-in opens. Race packets handed out. Arrive early! Use the time until race start to determine how many locations you are going to visit and to plan your route.
- 930 am – TIME CHANGE: Pre-race meeting with final notes and any rule changes.
- 10am – Race Start
- 2pm – Race cut off
- 215-230pm – Awards
Maps and all race packet information will be given out at 9am. All maps will be 8.5×11 size. There will be 2-3 maps as well as a clue sheet printed on waterproof paper. We will be issuing a second packet of plain paper maps so others in your group can follow along, but these are not waterproof. Make sure to bring a sharpie to write the backup check codes on the clue sheets (will explain during pre-race meeting at 930am). We also suggest a highlighter for route planning.
Cell Phones and App
Make sure to have at one fully charged cell phone per team. This phone will be used to scan QR codes at each location. Only one cellphone can be used during the duration of the race to scan QR codes. The app MapRun can be downloaded from the links below. We will help you set this up at registration and give you a test course to try. We recommend you download it prior to the race to make sure it installs on at least one phone in your group. Never fear though, as we have a backup method if your phone does not work
The cellphone CANNOT be used for navigation purposes. Teams caught doing this will suffer stiff penalties. HOWEVER, PLEASE TAKE TONS OF PHOTOS ONLINE!
Selfie Challenge Stops
There will be several selfie challenges along the way. The goal is to take a photo of you with the background and post it to social media tagging us in it. At the end of the race, you will show the photos to race staff to earn points for each stop. You may use a separate cell phone for these. We highly recommend taking more photos and sharing them online, but only these locations gain you points. Facebook @vindura Instagram: @vindura.fit Tags: #vindura #somerurban #seemyset
We highly recommend other items for planning period such as a highlighter to help
- Food/water hydration for the duration of the event.
- Clothing appropriate for weather conditions
Per Team/Solo Individual
- Backpack – We recommend at least per team to carry gear
- Mobile phone – Fully charged in waterproof or double-ziplock bag
- Waterproof protection for maps – Zip lock bag, map case, etc
- Compass (optional)
- Bib number – Provided at race check-in. Must be visible at all times by race staff.
Latest forecast has the temperature around 75 degrees at 10am start time with a 20% chance of rain. High is expected to be 85 degrees. Please dress and plan accordingly for food and hydration. They are giving rain for later in the day. Race held rain or shine, so consider packing a light rain jacket. Lightning in the area will delay the event or result in early return (more on this later)